Skip to main content

I'm a Grandpa, Not a Doctor!


My grandpa, Roger, was a cool guy. He passed away a few years ago; today would have been his birthday. Every year my family would get together around this time and throw a party for him. He was cool that way, getting a birthday party every year.

I miss him. He had a way of making you feel like the most important, special person, even if you were one of 30 people in the house or one of the grandkids vying for his attention. When he was with you, he focused his attention on you.

I think we all had something we enjoyed doing with Papaw that we felt was "our" thing -- whether playing a game, watching a movie, or listening to music. The thing I enjoyed doing with him was drinking coffee and watching Star Trek, preferably The Original Series. He loved  it, and so did I. Usually we sat watching and sipping coffee in silence. You really didn't have to say anything when you were with him. Just being around him was comforting somehow.

I don't recall when it was, but at some point I was watching TOS on my own and it hit me: Papaw WAS Leonard McCoy. His humor, his sarcasm, even the wrinkles on his face. Not the actor (DeForest Kelley), but the character. They were so similar! It was actually quite eerie once I realized it.

Well, I won't go into details about how Papaw passed away. It was sudden. I'm glad I got to talk to him before his surgery when he was still more himself.

Months afterwards, I was given a couple of his old Star Trek TOS novels.

One of them was one of the first ones written -- the story of how the crew got together in the first place. The maiden voyage of the Enterprise under Kirk's command. Very cool book. In the beginning as they're introducing characters, I received quite a shock.

As McCoy is introduced, they reveal that he is from Macon, GA.

Papaw was from Macon, GA.
(Interesting side note -- DeForest Kelley is also from Georgia!)

I couldn't read past that part for a long time. I held the book and cried. I'm not one to believe anything silly or superstitious, but what a crazy random coincidence! And badly needed at the time. It made me so happy.

So happy birthday to my Papaw. You weren't a doctor, but you were an awesome grandpa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Fibromyalgia Changed Me

Why Me?


A follow-up post to the original - Here.

My disclaimer for all the things below is this: I am not perfect. This is meant to show a before/after comparison but not to say that I have anything figured out.

Second disclaimer: This post is going to sound completely loco to some of you. That's ok. You might completely get what I'm saying, you might understand parts but not others, or you might not agree with anything I say! You're welcome to pass on reading this, of course, but if you do choose to read it, understand that I'm coming from the perspective of being a believer in Jesus and also that this is a retrospective on something major that happened years ago. Time so often gives you a perspective that you don't have at the beginning. Also please know that it took a lot of working myself up to write this because I'm a very private person and tend to not share this type of thing publicly, so please be gentle with your responses. =)


1. Empathy.
This is somethi…

It's Just Like Riding a Bike

When I was younger -- maybe 6 or 7 -- I learned to ride a bike. I think I must have been about that age because I remember Sarah being fairly young but I don't remember Charlotte being born yet, so we'll go with that. My mom must have been working part time because we went to a sitter's house during the summer. I don't remember how many days a week but regardless, we'd go to her house for the morning and early afternoon. The sitter's son was grown and out of the house but her daughter was in high school -- I want to say a junior or senior at the time. Sometimes she'd take us outside to play. So this particular day we were riding bikes and I decided to try riding without training wheels.

Instead of learning in a more traditional way, for some reason, we decided that I'd start up at the top of their yard and ride down a huge incline toward the house and then turn at some point in there to keep going on a straighter path. To recap, the idea was to NOT hit…

I Fail At Staying Composed While Playing Video Games

I love playing video games -- well, many video games, not all (cough, Gears of War, cough) -- but I tend to take them personally. I consider it a personal achievement when I beat a boss. Like, I am a better person for it. And if I fail, I fail at life.

My first video games that I remember were Mario Bros for NES, Link's Awakening and Donkey Kong for the original Gameboy, and then for computer, Commander Keen and original Duke Nukem.


I once peed in my pants because I refused to get up from fighting the boss in Duke Nukem to go to the bathroom. There was no pause!

I remember beating Twilight Princess (a Legend of Zelda game) around 3 a.m. one weekend many years ago and yelling in triumph! You really shouldn't yell at 3 a.m. when you're not the only person in the house.

I play League of Legends, but never solo queue (when you just jump into a random game with other people you don't know). I only play premades, and usually that consists of four family members plus me. Occas…