Skip to main content

Being Fully Present and Other Things

I haven't blogged here in a long time. Why? Well, a couple of reasons. One, I have been busy and tired. Like, more tired than I think I've ever been. Not an "I stayed up too late" kind of tired but an ongoing state of being low on fuel kind of tired. Not that I'm complaining. On the contrary, I have more joy than ever. But, you know, the kind of joy that's messy and tired and running around like a crazy person... that kind of joy! =)  Here's my stream-of-consciousness update of what's been going on.

We recently welcomed our second little one to the family: Sebastian Kai. Sebastian is a name we've always liked, and "Bastian" is the main character from The Neverending Story. Also, "Bast" is my favorite character from The Kingkiller Chronicles (he's a fae, and he's -- forgive my language -- badass). Alice and Sebastian -- both our kids have literary first names. Kai is also a name from a book series we both love (The Blood of Kerensky trilogy of the Battletech series) and it is also a name that's prevalent in a lot of Asian cultures. It means "ocean" and "strength."

Anyway, what else? I've been reading the 15-book-long Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson), and I love it! I'm in book 8 right now. A few years ago I decided that as a Sci-Fi and fantasy fan, I needed to read some of the staples, so I have read the Mistborn series (Sanderson), The Dark Tower series (King), and now the Wheel of Time series. My to-read stack is so big, but reading is one of my favorite things. I vividly remember that in junior high, it was one of those things that didn't exactly improve my super-nerd status, but I'm sooo thankful I didn't give up reading. Alice loves reading, and I hope she always does. It opens your mind, your heart, and your eyes to a thousand other people, places, and ideas. Reading teaches empathy, challenges what you think you know, improves your vocabulary, and makes you a better conversationalist and debate partner. And don't get my started on the merits of reading fantasy and mythology. I have plenty to say on that subject. (And so did C.S. Lewis -- check out Of Other Worlds by him if you want a good, short read on the topic).

But this is a blog about failures, right? I'm not one to sugarcoat anything. If you've been around me for even a little while, you know that I'm pretty straightforward. I don't pretend to have it all together. I don't do crossfit, my brown sugar has expired because I never bake treats, I'm on my second cup of coffee, I haven't showered today, and the laundry tends to sit in the basket to be folded for, oh, several days on average. I'm not sentimental, and half the time I have no idea what I'm doing. Thankfully, Jeremy is the balance in our home. We are so imperfect, but we are perfect for each other. When I leave a trail of chaos, he calmly walks behind me and picks up the pieces (literally, like books on the floor and the baby bath in the kitchen sink). He has changed all the nighttime diapers for our kids for most of their baby phase. When I'm lazy and want to stay home and not talk to anyone, he suggests we get out of the house and have some fun. Or we watch an anime. Just hanging out with each other is good for us.

My personal goal during this phase of life is something I struggle with (a lot!). Being fully present in each moment. I so want to get on with the next phase, regardless of where I am. I can't wait til my newborn is more interactive and can sit, crawl, walk, talk, etc. I look forward to completing another home project, finishing a book, going to an event in the fall (it's currently April). I am eager for each next phase, and I tend to forget to enjoy the one I'm in. I know that I'll blink and Bastian will be 2 years old and Alice will be in school. I don't want to miss out on the moment. When I'm tired, and nursing (again), and the laundry is piled up, and nothing is clean, and supper isn't ready... even in that moment, I want to be present and joyful, if not necessarily thrilled about all those things. I can still be fully present, for my sake as well as my family's. So what if we eat at 7? So what if it's takeout? So what if my life right now is crazy?

Hi, I'm Laura. I'm a working mom of two, wife of a hardworking and awesome husband. My "workout" is running around like a crazy person, I use disposable diapers, supplement my baby's milk with formula, don't clip coupons, don't bake cookies, let my daughter watch tv -- Pokemon, Mickey Mouse, Teen Titans Go, etc -- probably too much, and I bend or break most of the parenting "rules."

BUT, I know those things don't define me. I know my identity is in Christ's saving grace; my very nature means I fall short of being perfect without Him, and I have peace in that. I also make some good Thai food, teach my kids about books and types of flowers, and they know I love them. I believe unborn lives matter, black lives matter, refugee lives matter, and the life of the person who can't afford health care matters. I recognize my privilege has granted me opportunities (and allows me to have opinions about things) that many others can't afford to have, and yet I so often shamefully neglect those people. I am pro-Net Neutrality but realize we're in a mess and need better answers -- and better congressmen. I like Creedence Clearwater Revival, hate love ballads, and would rather watch Star Trek than just about anything else.

And I'm learning to be fully present. Utter failure? Maybe. But I'm learning and growing, and I wouldn't change a thing.





Comments

  1. Awesome Laura!! I think you are “utterly” amazing 😉 Love, Laura Anne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloak Girl

So back in college, there was a girl who wore a forest green cape every day. I don't remember her name, though I roomed across the hall from her one year. She was obviously very into fantasy. She loved Lord of the Rings and had a whole fantasy village set up outside her room window. Most people thought she was a little weird and quite a few made fun of her. I remember just thinking she was a little different. I mean, I liked LOTR too, but I didn't wear a cape. No one else did. She was a nice girl though. I know she MUST have known she was the object of a lot of jokes. Despite what people think, you're never oblivious to that. Well, today, I made a green cloak. Now, I'm the "cape girl"! I guess some people might mock me. Honestly, I don't care. Not at this point. I've learned how to sew and can make a cloak! In fact, I did so in just a few hours today. So I'm pretty proud of myself. The character I'm cosplaying is Kvothe from The Name

Mom of the Year

Before I write this blog post, I want to say a few things. By its nature, this post is exclusive. It is about one thing and not about other things. But it is not meant to say that one thing is better than another. It's just not about all those things. All of us who are parents are doing the best we can. I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their little ones full-time. You're doing hard work, and it's a great thing.  I see a lot of posts from parents who stay home with their children talking about how they love it and it's the best thing. They can't imagine not doing that. Wonderful! I see posts that get shared that extol staying home full-time with your children. That's great, too.  But this post is specifically for the mom who works full-time outside the home. I don't see much for those of us who do that, so this is for us. I know "working mom" is a bit of a misnomer since all moms are working moms, but for clarity's s

Fibromyalgia: My Journey of Health, Perspective, and Trust

This is less a post about failing, although I certainly had those moments. It's just something I'm sharing. I hope it helps someone in some way. It started back in May of 2011. Around the time of this picture on the lake. I randomly started having trouble breathing and realized I was coughing a lot. Of course, working at WebMD, I began a long process of self-diagnosing. (Something I try to never do now.) My symptoms seemed to point to asthma, although I imagined a dozen worse scenarios. The doctor thought it could be severe allergies so he gave me some medications to try. It didn't help.  I went back and he gave me an asthma test. It did not indicate asthma but did show some improvement in breathing with a breathing treatment, so he put me on inhaled steroids and a rescue inhaler. That did seem to help a bit... but when I say a bit, I really mean that. It was minimal improvement. I spent the whole summer barely able to breathe and unable to be outside for more than