Skip to main content

Is Content Marketing Really Hit or Miss?



by: Laura Lee


*A note before we start: This blog is mostly about failures. The way I'm justifying posting about a work-related topic on here is that I think considering content marketing as "hit or miss" is a failure. It's a stretch, but humor me! 

What are we talking about?
Forbes recently published an article called "Content Marketing Study Suggests Most Content Marketing Doesn't Work" and went on to discuss how most content marketing seems to be very hit or miss. A fellow SEO I follow on Twitter - @victorpan - tweeted this article. (He tweets good things. You should follow him.)

Who am I to be talking about it?
I've been working at my current job for about 6 years now. Since I started with WebMD, my primary role has been in content management. I began by monitoring search queries, comparing them to our content, and noting gaps. I would then recommend that we write content where we were missing it. This grew into a full-blown content marketing role where I have responsibilities for the content topics we choose (not every topic, but many), providing content writing guidelines (what should the content be about?) to the writers, writing all metadata, linking the content once it is published, crosslinking it, and monitoring its traffic for up to 2 years after publishing. I do this for every piece of medical reference published on the site, which ranges from 10-20 per month. Sometimes much more. 

Ok, so how can I know if my content will perform well or not?

1. Do people search for it?
Ah, there's the rub. I've often seen companies write content that they like. They think the topic is fun or trendy and will resonate with users. The problem with that is -- did they ever check with their users first? And often, the answer is "no." 

If your goal is to write things that you like, that's fine. But if your goal is traffic, specifically search traffic to your site, then you must write what your users want to know. And you must write it well, keeping their language in mind. 

Before you write or commission a piece that you need to produce good results, check search tools like Google's Keyword Planner (as much as I dislike it) to see how much search the topic receives. If your topic doesn't get searched on very often, you're not going to get referrals from search to it. It's that simple. 

2. How much competition is there?
You're not going to rank #1 or even on the first page for something with a lot of high-value competition. At least, not for a while. Your new article won't beat out the competition for a term like "hiking shoes." Not only do good sites already rank, but there are 46,400,000 search results for that. But if you think long-tail and target terms like "comfortable hiking shoes for women," you're already down to 2,900,000 results. Not minimal, but certainly fewer to deal with. Factor in the competition for your article topic when you're deciding what to write. 

3. How much can I link it?
I think this may be the most-overlooked factor in content marketing. I learned by trial and error that just because your topic is popular in search doesn't mean you'll rank for it. If you have a great article but leave it to float in internet space, your chances of being found are significantly less than if your content is linked somewhere. Preferably, unless it's news, somewhere permanent. Closer to your homepage is better. 

I use a percentage to represent the "linkability" of a piece of content. Basically you need to ask yourself where it will live: in an index? on a landing page? will you link to it within other articles on your site? Giving your new content a home is an important part of content marketing that a lot of people don't factor in. 

If you follow these guidelines, you won't have to worry as much about articles that "miss." Some will perform better than others; it just makes sense. And the more long-tail topics you target, the more smaller sources of traffic you'll have. That's a good thing. If an article under-performs  find out why and correct it, or do things differently next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Fibromyalgia Changed Me

Why Me?


A follow-up post to the original - Here.

My disclaimer for all the things below is this: I am not perfect. This is meant to show a before/after comparison but not to say that I have anything figured out.

Second disclaimer: This post is going to sound completely loco to some of you. That's ok. You might completely get what I'm saying, you might understand parts but not others, or you might not agree with anything I say! You're welcome to pass on reading this, of course, but if you do choose to read it, understand that I'm coming from the perspective of being a believer in Jesus and also that this is a retrospective on something major that happened years ago. Time so often gives you a perspective that you don't have at the beginning. Also please know that it took a lot of working myself up to write this because I'm a very private person and tend to not share this type of thing publicly, so please be gentle with your responses. =)


1. Empathy.
This is somethi…

It's Just Like Riding a Bike

When I was younger -- maybe 6 or 7 -- I learned to ride a bike. I think I must have been about that age because I remember Sarah being fairly young but I don't remember Charlotte being born yet, so we'll go with that. My mom must have been working part time because we went to a sitter's house during the summer. I don't remember how many days a week but regardless, we'd go to her house for the morning and early afternoon. The sitter's son was grown and out of the house but her daughter was in high school -- I want to say a junior or senior at the time. Sometimes she'd take us outside to play. So this particular day we were riding bikes and I decided to try riding without training wheels.

Instead of learning in a more traditional way, for some reason, we decided that I'd start up at the top of their yard and ride down a huge incline toward the house and then turn at some point in there to keep going on a straighter path. To recap, the idea was to NOT hit…

I'm a Grandpa, Not a Doctor!

My grandpa, Roger, was a cool guy. He passed away a few years ago; today would have been his birthday. Every year my family would get together around this time and throw a party for him. He was cool that way, getting a birthday party every year.

I miss him. He had a way of making you feel like the most important, special person, even if you were one of 30 people in the house or one of the grandkids vying for his attention. When he was with you, he focused his attention on you.

I think we all had something we enjoyed doing with Papaw that we felt was "our" thing -- whether playing a game, watching a movie, or listening to music. The thing I enjoyed doing with him was drinking coffee and watching Star Trek, preferably The Original Series. He loved  it, and so did I. Usually we sat watching and sipping coffee in silence. You really didn't have to say anything when you were with him. Just being around him was comforting somehow.

I don't recall when it was, but at some po…