Skip to main content

Is Content Marketing Really Hit or Miss?



by: Laura Lee


*A note before we start: This blog is mostly about failures. The way I'm justifying posting about a work-related topic on here is that I think considering content marketing as "hit or miss" is a failure. It's a stretch, but humor me! 

What are we talking about?
Forbes recently published an article called "Content Marketing Study Suggests Most Content Marketing Doesn't Work" and went on to discuss how most content marketing seems to be very hit or miss. A fellow SEO I follow on Twitter - @victorpan - tweeted this article. (He tweets good things. You should follow him.)

Who am I to be talking about it?
I've been working at my current job for about 6 years now. Since I started with WebMD, my primary role has been in content management. I began by monitoring search queries, comparing them to our content, and noting gaps. I would then recommend that we write content where we were missing it. This grew into a full-blown content marketing role where I have responsibilities for the content topics we choose (not every topic, but many), providing content writing guidelines (what should the content be about?) to the writers, writing all metadata, linking the content once it is published, crosslinking it, and monitoring its traffic for up to 2 years after publishing. I do this for every piece of medical reference published on the site, which ranges from 10-20 per month. Sometimes much more. 

Ok, so how can I know if my content will perform well or not?

1. Do people search for it?
Ah, there's the rub. I've often seen companies write content that they like. They think the topic is fun or trendy and will resonate with users. The problem with that is -- did they ever check with their users first? And often, the answer is "no." 

If your goal is to write things that you like, that's fine. But if your goal is traffic, specifically search traffic to your site, then you must write what your users want to know. And you must write it well, keeping their language in mind. 

Before you write or commission a piece that you need to produce good results, check search tools like Google's Keyword Planner (as much as I dislike it) to see how much search the topic receives. If your topic doesn't get searched on very often, you're not going to get referrals from search to it. It's that simple. 

2. How much competition is there?
You're not going to rank #1 or even on the first page for something with a lot of high-value competition. At least, not for a while. Your new article won't beat out the competition for a term like "hiking shoes." Not only do good sites already rank, but there are 46,400,000 search results for that. But if you think long-tail and target terms like "comfortable hiking shoes for women," you're already down to 2,900,000 results. Not minimal, but certainly fewer to deal with. Factor in the competition for your article topic when you're deciding what to write. 

3. How much can I link it?
I think this may be the most-overlooked factor in content marketing. I learned by trial and error that just because your topic is popular in search doesn't mean you'll rank for it. If you have a great article but leave it to float in internet space, your chances of being found are significantly less than if your content is linked somewhere. Preferably, unless it's news, somewhere permanent. Closer to your homepage is better. 

I use a percentage to represent the "linkability" of a piece of content. Basically you need to ask yourself where it will live: in an index? on a landing page? will you link to it within other articles on your site? Giving your new content a home is an important part of content marketing that a lot of people don't factor in. 

If you follow these guidelines, you won't have to worry as much about articles that "miss." Some will perform better than others; it just makes sense. And the more long-tail topics you target, the more smaller sources of traffic you'll have. That's a good thing. If an article under-performs  find out why and correct it, or do things differently next time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloak Girl

So back in college, there was a girl who wore a forest green cape every day. I don't remember her name, though I roomed across the hall from her one year. She was obviously very into fantasy. She loved Lord of the Rings and had a whole fantasy village set up outside her room window. Most people thought she was a little weird and quite a few made fun of her. I remember just thinking she was a little different. I mean, I liked LOTR too, but I didn't wear a cape. No one else did. She was a nice girl though. I know she MUST have known she was the object of a lot of jokes. Despite what people think, you're never oblivious to that. Well, today, I made a green cloak. Now, I'm the "cape girl"! I guess some people might mock me. Honestly, I don't care. Not at this point. I've learned how to sew and can make a cloak! In fact, I did so in just a few hours today. So I'm pretty proud of myself. The character I'm cosplaying is Kvothe from The Name

Mom of the Year

Before I write this blog post, I want to say a few things. By its nature, this post is exclusive. It is about one thing and not about other things. But it is not meant to say that one thing is better than another. It's just not about all those things. All of us who are parents are doing the best we can. I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their little ones full-time. You're doing hard work, and it's a great thing.  I see a lot of posts from parents who stay home with their children talking about how they love it and it's the best thing. They can't imagine not doing that. Wonderful! I see posts that get shared that extol staying home full-time with your children. That's great, too.  But this post is specifically for the mom who works full-time outside the home. I don't see much for those of us who do that, so this is for us. I know "working mom" is a bit of a misnomer since all moms are working moms, but for clarity's s

Fibromyalgia: My Journey of Health, Perspective, and Trust

This is less a post about failing, although I certainly had those moments. It's just something I'm sharing. I hope it helps someone in some way. It started back in May of 2011. Around the time of this picture on the lake. I randomly started having trouble breathing and realized I was coughing a lot. Of course, working at WebMD, I began a long process of self-diagnosing. (Something I try to never do now.) My symptoms seemed to point to asthma, although I imagined a dozen worse scenarios. The doctor thought it could be severe allergies so he gave me some medications to try. It didn't help.  I went back and he gave me an asthma test. It did not indicate asthma but did show some improvement in breathing with a breathing treatment, so he put me on inhaled steroids and a rescue inhaler. That did seem to help a bit... but when I say a bit, I really mean that. It was minimal improvement. I spent the whole summer barely able to breathe and unable to be outside for more than