Skip to main content

I Fail At Being Able to Tell How Old Your Kids Are

I am not a  parent... yet. Nor am I pregnant (for anyone who took that the wrong way). I'll let you know if and when that happens. You will know because I will say so, but I will not be posting alien photos aka ultrasounds of said future offspring. I do not mind if you do of course, and that is none of my business, but I personally find them off-putting. Hello, little alien creature.

I wouldn't say that in general I like kids. Actually that's never been the case for me. I never really dreamed of having kids. I dreamed of being an astronaut though.

Having said that, I know I do want kids. Not because I think being pregnant will be fun (probably not), nor will giving birth, nor will cleaning up after them or changing my whole lifestyle or spending my money on them. WOW Laura, you're so cynical. Maybe, but it's true isn't it? Gotta be realistic about these things.

But knowing all those things are in my future if we do have kids, I still want to... eventually.

I like some people's children, usually because I like those people and, by association, I like their kids. So if you're reading this and thinking "Does she like my kids?" the answer is probably "Yes." Because I probably like you. =)

So to the point of this blog --

Even if I like you and like your kids, I have a confession: I have no idea how old they are.

From birth to about a year, I don't know. From 1-3, they all look the same. From 4-6 or so, all the same. I can look at a picture of a child and think, oh he must be about 3, but he's really 18 months. Looks like you've got an 8 year old there. He's 11. Oh. I don't know.

So in advance, I apologize for not knowing how old your kids are. FAIL.

Comments

  1. Grrr I left a comment and apparently it didn't publish? Or something?

    Anyway yeah I'm the jerk who TOTALLY minds those alien looking photos. And the stupid app that updates people's FB pages with how far along they are (and shows a creepy picture along with it).

    I don't think telling little kids' ages is all that easy, period. It's gotten easier for me since I've had my nieces and nephews around so much, but kids are all so different that I'm still more likely to guess wrong than to guess right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on this one! And I'm a nurse! I guess I should be able to tell the difference between physical and developmental stages of children and that should help me label them with the correct age, but no. I can't.
    That felt good to get off my shoulders

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Fibromyalgia Changed Me

Why Me?


A follow-up post to the original - Here.

My disclaimer for all the things below is this: I am not perfect. This is meant to show a before/after comparison but not to say that I have anything figured out.

Second disclaimer: This post is going to sound completely loco to some of you. That's ok. You might completely get what I'm saying, you might understand parts but not others, or you might not agree with anything I say! You're welcome to pass on reading this, of course, but if you do choose to read it, understand that I'm coming from the perspective of being a believer in Jesus and also that this is a retrospective on something major that happened years ago. Time so often gives you a perspective that you don't have at the beginning. Also please know that it took a lot of working myself up to write this because I'm a very private person and tend to not share this type of thing publicly, so please be gentle with your responses. =)


1. Empathy.
This is somethi…

It's Just Like Riding a Bike

When I was younger -- maybe 6 or 7 -- I learned to ride a bike. I think I must have been about that age because I remember Sarah being fairly young but I don't remember Charlotte being born yet, so we'll go with that. My mom must have been working part time because we went to a sitter's house during the summer. I don't remember how many days a week but regardless, we'd go to her house for the morning and early afternoon. The sitter's son was grown and out of the house but her daughter was in high school -- I want to say a junior or senior at the time. Sometimes she'd take us outside to play. So this particular day we were riding bikes and I decided to try riding without training wheels.

Instead of learning in a more traditional way, for some reason, we decided that I'd start up at the top of their yard and ride down a huge incline toward the house and then turn at some point in there to keep going on a straighter path. To recap, the idea was to NOT hit…

I Fail At Staying Composed While Playing Video Games

I love playing video games -- well, many video games, not all (cough, Gears of War, cough) -- but I tend to take them personally. I consider it a personal achievement when I beat a boss. Like, I am a better person for it. And if I fail, I fail at life.

My first video games that I remember were Mario Bros for NES, Link's Awakening and Donkey Kong for the original Gameboy, and then for computer, Commander Keen and original Duke Nukem.


I once peed in my pants because I refused to get up from fighting the boss in Duke Nukem to go to the bathroom. There was no pause!

I remember beating Twilight Princess (a Legend of Zelda game) around 3 a.m. one weekend many years ago and yelling in triumph! You really shouldn't yell at 3 a.m. when you're not the only person in the house.

I play League of Legends, but never solo queue (when you just jump into a random game with other people you don't know). I only play premades, and usually that consists of four family members plus me. Occas…