Skip to main content

The Time I Failed at Interviewing at CNN

After college, like just about every college grad, I was looking for work. I had worked during school breaks at WebMD for a few years and had a little other work experience as an office assistant. My first task was to ask WebMD if there was a full-time position. There wasn't. They didn't hire new grads anyway. But they did have a little freelance work I could take on while I job hunted, so I gladly took the offer.

I thought to myself, I bet the WebMD brand would at least get me some phone calls, so I applied everywhere I could think of that seemed relevant: American Cancer Society, Children's Hospital, even the CDC. And I got the phone calls, but they all wanted more experience. Sigh.

Then a coworker at WebMD mentioned that CNN hired "VJ"s right out of college, and that was how she got started. A VJ, or video journalist, is an entry-level position, but it's in really high demand, so you really have to be impressive to get in. I was told the first six months to a year were very demanding, with random hours and no holidays. But once you got promoted up, you could move around in the company. I am not one to love the news, but CNN was a great name, so I sent in my resume with my coworker's name as a reference. That name got me a phone call and an interview.

I bought a new suit from Ann Taylor and, very nervously, made my way to the CNN building in downtown Atlanta.

So I got to the interview and sat down with a very nice man who told me how the interview would go, what the position was, etc. Part of the job involved being able to look at photos and identify important people in them for news segments. You had to look at something and immediately know who, where, what, and whether it was important or not.

I already knew I was in over my head. Yes, I'd done some prep work but you can't exactly memorize a world's worth of political facts in a short amount of time. So he began asking me facts: Three branches of government? I knew that one. Leader of (X country)? Got it. Whew. That was a lucky one. Went through the easier questions without any major hiccups. Then things got real.


If this country's leader dies, what's the name of the person who is next in line? No, it wasn't England. It was a South American country that I can't remember now, but anyway, I had no idea. I smiled and told him as much. No sense in making up crap. We had several questions like that. I felt my face turning red and my ego deflating. I had no idea who was important, why, where, how, or to what extent. I didn't know the senators from California. I forgot who was the secretary of state two presidential terms ago.

I left the interview quite dejected. There was really no salvaging it.

I got an email about a week later that they wouldn't be making an offer. People asked how the interview went. I mean, interviewing with CNN was kind of a big deal. Yeah... I said it "didn't work out" or "wasn't a good fit." And by that I meant "I fail."

Oh well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloak Girl

So back in college, there was a girl who wore a forest green cape every day. I don't remember her name, though I roomed across the hall from her one year. She was obviously very into fantasy. She loved Lord of the Rings and had a whole fantasy village set up outside her room window. Most people thought she was a little weird and quite a few made fun of her. I remember just thinking she was a little different. I mean, I liked LOTR too, but I didn't wear a cape. No one else did. She was a nice girl though. I know she MUST have known she was the object of a lot of jokes. Despite what people think, you're never oblivious to that. Well, today, I made a green cloak. Now, I'm the "cape girl"! I guess some people might mock me. Honestly, I don't care. Not at this point. I've learned how to sew and can make a cloak! In fact, I did so in just a few hours today. So I'm pretty proud of myself. The character I'm cosplaying is Kvothe from The Name

Mom of the Year

Before I write this blog post, I want to say a few things. By its nature, this post is exclusive. It is about one thing and not about other things. But it is not meant to say that one thing is better than another. It's just not about all those things. All of us who are parents are doing the best we can. I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their little ones full-time. You're doing hard work, and it's a great thing.  I see a lot of posts from parents who stay home with their children talking about how they love it and it's the best thing. They can't imagine not doing that. Wonderful! I see posts that get shared that extol staying home full-time with your children. That's great, too.  But this post is specifically for the mom who works full-time outside the home. I don't see much for those of us who do that, so this is for us. I know "working mom" is a bit of a misnomer since all moms are working moms, but for clarity's s

Fibromyalgia: My Journey of Health, Perspective, and Trust

This is less a post about failing, although I certainly had those moments. It's just something I'm sharing. I hope it helps someone in some way. It started back in May of 2011. Around the time of this picture on the lake. I randomly started having trouble breathing and realized I was coughing a lot. Of course, working at WebMD, I began a long process of self-diagnosing. (Something I try to never do now.) My symptoms seemed to point to asthma, although I imagined a dozen worse scenarios. The doctor thought it could be severe allergies so he gave me some medications to try. It didn't help.  I went back and he gave me an asthma test. It did not indicate asthma but did show some improvement in breathing with a breathing treatment, so he put me on inhaled steroids and a rescue inhaler. That did seem to help a bit... but when I say a bit, I really mean that. It was minimal improvement. I spent the whole summer barely able to breathe and unable to be outside for more than