Skip to main content

How Fibromyalgia Changed Me



Why Me?


A follow-up post to the original - Here.

My disclaimer for all the things below is this: I am not perfect. This is meant to show a before/after comparison but not to say that I have anything figured out.

Second disclaimer: This post is going to sound completely loco to some of you. That's ok. You might completely get what I'm saying, you might understand parts but not others, or you might not agree with anything I say! You're welcome to pass on reading this, of course, but if you do choose to read it, understand that I'm coming from the perspective of being a believer in Jesus and also that this is a retrospective on something major that happened years ago. Time so often gives you a perspective that you don't have at the beginning. Also please know that it took a lot of working myself up to write this because I'm a very private person and tend to not share this type of thing publicly, so please be gentle with your responses. =)


1. Empathy.
This is something I just didn't have much of before. I tended to think (or act on the assumption) that most people who had chronic pain could probably just live a healthier lifestyle and that would solve the problem. I didn't show pity. I didn't love people the way I'm called to (as a Christian, I mean).

2. Trust.
I would say before fibro, I would have said I trusted God to provide for/take care of me, but I certainly hadn't really had that tested significantly. In other words, I was (almost) all talk. My anxiety controlled me during those initial months -- almost a year, actually -- of fibromyalgia. As I mentioned in my first blog about fibro, I trusted myself, the health knowledge found online, my doctors, and as each one of those things failed me, I was left at the end of my rope with nothing left to trust except God. Sure, it shouldn't have taken that experience for me to learn trust. But guys, I'm stubborn.

3. Dependence.
This goes hand-in-hand with trust, but I would have described myself as very independent before. The initial flare of fibromyalgia pain in addition to the other health issues I had at the same time literally put me out of commission. I could barely function for months. I was forced into letting Jeremy help me and take care of a lot of things without my input or help. I was also forced to face my own inadequacies... I couldn't do everything. I couldn't even really breathe well. I couldn't sing in church. I couldn't stay outside for long periods of time because of the heat and pollen. I couldn't even get out of bed some days. Before, my mantra would have been "I got this." Well, the reality was I didn't "got this" at all.

4. Gratitude.
Really, Laura? You learned to be thankful through this fibromyalgia business? Yep. Oh, not at first. At first I was livid. Why me? What did I do to deserve this? And in the time period of trying to get a diagnosis, with my anxiety running wild and causing all kinds of horrible physical side effects, I was absolutely terrified that I was dying of some hidden thing that the doctors were just not finding. I was at my doctor's office very frequently with new or changing symptoms. I had tests and scans for just about everything you can imagine: from colonoscopies and MRIs to blood tests and even an EKG, and everything came out normal. No, I was not thankful at all until much later. This could be a whole blog post in itself, but it will suffice to say that I am so thankful for health, for a loving and wise spouse, for doctors and medicine, but also for the fact that it took so long to find out some answers. During that time, God was stripping away all the things I held in regard above Him and showing me my life was being built on sand instead of the Rock (the analogy is that of the wise man who builds his house on rock vs. the fool who builds it on sand -- things that will not stand when the difficulties of life come your way). So yes, I'm thankful that my hope is built on a much better surface now. And I'm thankful that God met my needs but also that He strengthened my faith.

*I realize I may have lost some of you at this point...but think of it this way. If you were baking a cake and you were putting in all the wrong ingredients, would you prefer to figure that out in the ingredient-adding phase or after the cake has baked? What I'm saying is that I was selfish and not very compassionate, and I got to realize that before "the cake was baked," so to speak.

There are probably more things, but those stand out to me. I remember one day when I was overwhelmed with anxiety and just feeling sick. And I was angry with God. I remember being really afraid that He was trying to use me as an example. Don't you hate when the teacher uses you as an example? Same idea. I was sitting with Jeremy, crying, and saying what if God is doing this to use me as an example of something to others?  Like, what if I'm sick forever so that He can use me for some purpose? And the very wise Jeremy said, "What if He is? Are you ok with that?" I responded oh so sweetly (NOT), "Do I LOOK ok with that?" I laugh now thinking about that. Because He did use me. I can't even think of how many people I've talked to about suffering, health struggles, trust, etc, and actually had something relevant (and perhaps even helpful) to say. So yeah, I'd say God used my situation for a bigger purpose. And yes, I'm ok with that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloak Girl

So back in college, there was a girl who wore a forest green cape every day. I don't remember her name, though I roomed across the hall from her one year. She was obviously very into fantasy. She loved Lord of the Rings and had a whole fantasy village set up outside her room window. Most people thought she was a little weird and quite a few made fun of her. I remember just thinking she was a little different. I mean, I liked LOTR too, but I didn't wear a cape. No one else did. She was a nice girl though. I know she MUST have known she was the object of a lot of jokes. Despite what people think, you're never oblivious to that. Well, today, I made a green cloak. Now, I'm the "cape girl"! I guess some people might mock me. Honestly, I don't care. Not at this point. I've learned how to sew and can make a cloak! In fact, I did so in just a few hours today. So I'm pretty proud of myself. The character I'm cosplaying is Kvothe from The Name

Mom of the Year

Before I write this blog post, I want to say a few things. By its nature, this post is exclusive. It is about one thing and not about other things. But it is not meant to say that one thing is better than another. It's just not about all those things. All of us who are parents are doing the best we can. I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their little ones full-time. You're doing hard work, and it's a great thing.  I see a lot of posts from parents who stay home with their children talking about how they love it and it's the best thing. They can't imagine not doing that. Wonderful! I see posts that get shared that extol staying home full-time with your children. That's great, too.  But this post is specifically for the mom who works full-time outside the home. I don't see much for those of us who do that, so this is for us. I know "working mom" is a bit of a misnomer since all moms are working moms, but for clarity's s

Fibromyalgia: My Journey of Health, Perspective, and Trust

This is less a post about failing, although I certainly had those moments. It's just something I'm sharing. I hope it helps someone in some way. It started back in May of 2011. Around the time of this picture on the lake. I randomly started having trouble breathing and realized I was coughing a lot. Of course, working at WebMD, I began a long process of self-diagnosing. (Something I try to never do now.) My symptoms seemed to point to asthma, although I imagined a dozen worse scenarios. The doctor thought it could be severe allergies so he gave me some medications to try. It didn't help.  I went back and he gave me an asthma test. It did not indicate asthma but did show some improvement in breathing with a breathing treatment, so he put me on inhaled steroids and a rescue inhaler. That did seem to help a bit... but when I say a bit, I really mean that. It was minimal improvement. I spent the whole summer barely able to breathe and unable to be outside for more than