Skip to main content

Negativity, Perspective, and Gratitude


I was driving alone a few weeks ago and talking/praying out loud about some things that I wasn't thrilled about and hoped would change. Vehicles and appliances that needed repair... basically smallish things that just weren't status quo. And in the middle of my conversation, I suddenly had a thought occur to me. Almost like a voice spoke to me.

And what it said was this: "Laura, you are kind of a negative person."

I stopped talking, my mouth wide open. Uh... what? And then I thought about it for a second and just had to smile at that realization. Yeah. Yeah, I am.

I would have always described myself as a pragmatic or realistic person, definitely not overly positive, but not negative. But in the past year, I've been... shall we say, in a funk. Which is a long time to be in a funk. But having my second child and working full-time and also doing all the "mom" things while trying to manage chronic pain and fatigue... that really started to take more of a toll this year as Sebastian went into full-blown energetic toddler mode.

As I got more tired and busy, I let myself start focusing more on negative things. And those might be small things. Little ways in which I felt I was always playing catch-up or dealing with obstacles. Appliances or vehicles in need of repair. Medical bills. Just those little everyday things of life.

Image may contain: birdSomewhere along the way this past year, I stopped noticing all the things going right, all the beautiful moments. I started focusing on the little things that weren't status quo instead of the many blessings I had.

I stopped purposefully being thankful and started becoming more anxious. I let myself listen to the voices that reminded me of the negative things, blowing them out of proportion and making them seem overwhelming.

"What will go wrong next? What will break? What will I forget or not have time to do? Who'll get sick next? Why is this happening to me? I don't deserve [fill in the blank]."

I remember one day I was bemoaning one of those "I don't deserve..." situations and I was just struck with my own pride. Like, really? YOU don't deserve to deal with this issue? What makes you so great? People all over the world deal with poverty, hunger, sickness, war and desolation, and you are sad because you have to deal with this tiny, truly insignificant thing and you're so offended that you are inconvenienced by it? (The situation I'm talking about truly is objectively a very small thing)

And I just realized I needed to change some things about my perspective. Not just apply some fuzzy "be positive" vibes to my day but REALLY purposefully change my focus from thinking too much about myself and my perceived problems and start practicing gratitude. And really PRACTICING it because it takes work to change your mindset.

I saw this post from someone I enjoy following on Instagram (She wrote and illustrated that Becoming and Beholding book!) and it really helped in challenging myself to do this. And she's a working mother of six, so I guess I can stop worrying about raising two kids!


Now, I am not saying I'm gonna be Pollyanna here. There are real struggles and things that come up that are hard. Our fall was full of one thing after another that demanded our attention and money, and it wasn't fun. We're still not out of the weeds completely. This is not about saying "everything's fine" when it's not or denying when things are difficult.

It is, rather, choosing to focus my heart and mind on what I am thankful for. Finding joy in every day. Deciding to give thanks in everything because every day is a gift and every circumstance gives me an opportunity to change for the better. Yes, I am tired, but I am also so blessed to be where I am in this moment. 

As C.S. Lewis said, these "interruptions" of my life are actually just my life. It's my perception that was wrong.

Image may contain: sky and textFor me, my anxiety is compounded when I don't have a thankful heart. I can almost always tie those two together.

When I start finding the things to be grateful for, I can feel the anxious thoughts subsiding. Some people say to follow your heart. I don't know about you, but my heart is not that trustworthy. It looks for the easier path, not the one that will shape me and make me more patient and kind.

So, this year is ending on a note that I'm really excited about. Not that everything on my list is "fixed." Actually, quite a few things are still not status quo. Cars, homes, and kids are never just "smooth sailing."

But Jeremy is awesome and the best partner whose strengths and weaknesses balance out with mine. He doesn't get anxious. I don't think he even knows how. He is a rock when I'm frazzled. And our kids' excitement and curiosity continually remind me of the little wonders of life. They are not fazed by a less-than-gourmet dinner (i.e. pancakes) or a less-than-clean living room. They only know that they are loved and life is full of promise. I can learn a lot from them.


Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor
I can say right now that my heart is more steadfast (hey - it's my word of the year!) than it wasn't for a lot of this past year. So, thanks to the little voice that told me I was a negative person. It was exactly what I needed to hear =)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloak Girl

So back in college, there was a girl who wore a forest green cape every day. I don't remember her name, though I roomed across the hall from her one year. She was obviously very into fantasy. She loved Lord of the Rings and had a whole fantasy village set up outside her room window. Most people thought she was a little weird and quite a few made fun of her. I remember just thinking she was a little different. I mean, I liked LOTR too, but I didn't wear a cape. No one else did. She was a nice girl though. I know she MUST have known she was the object of a lot of jokes. Despite what people think, you're never oblivious to that. Well, today, I made a green cloak. Now, I'm the "cape girl"! I guess some people might mock me. Honestly, I don't care. Not at this point. I've learned how to sew and can make a cloak! In fact, I did so in just a few hours today. So I'm pretty proud of myself. The character I'm cosplaying is Kvothe from The Name

Mom of the Year

Before I write this blog post, I want to say a few things. By its nature, this post is exclusive. It is about one thing and not about other things. But it is not meant to say that one thing is better than another. It's just not about all those things. All of us who are parents are doing the best we can. I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their little ones full-time. You're doing hard work, and it's a great thing.  I see a lot of posts from parents who stay home with their children talking about how they love it and it's the best thing. They can't imagine not doing that. Wonderful! I see posts that get shared that extol staying home full-time with your children. That's great, too.  But this post is specifically for the mom who works full-time outside the home. I don't see much for those of us who do that, so this is for us. I know "working mom" is a bit of a misnomer since all moms are working moms, but for clarity's s

Fibromyalgia: My Journey of Health, Perspective, and Trust

This is less a post about failing, although I certainly had those moments. It's just something I'm sharing. I hope it helps someone in some way. It started back in May of 2011. Around the time of this picture on the lake. I randomly started having trouble breathing and realized I was coughing a lot. Of course, working at WebMD, I began a long process of self-diagnosing. (Something I try to never do now.) My symptoms seemed to point to asthma, although I imagined a dozen worse scenarios. The doctor thought it could be severe allergies so he gave me some medications to try. It didn't help.  I went back and he gave me an asthma test. It did not indicate asthma but did show some improvement in breathing with a breathing treatment, so he put me on inhaled steroids and a rescue inhaler. That did seem to help a bit... but when I say a bit, I really mean that. It was minimal improvement. I spent the whole summer barely able to breathe and unable to be outside for more than