Skip to main content

And I Said What About Lurking at Tiffany's

A few days ago I came across something from a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away: a Tiffany charm. It reminded me of my very first trip to New York City when I was twenty years old. Gather round, children, and listen.

It was New Years 2006, and I was a junior in college.

A couple of my friends were going with a larger group of their friends to NYC for about 4 days over New Years. I had a couple connections, but the main connection to this group was a guy I had previously been dating but was no longer dating. Yeah, so... about that...

We'll call him George. George and I had been friends since our freshman year and had admitted we were interested in each other toward the beginning of my junior year. He wasn't in college with me at the time but lived in the same city, so we saw each other and were "an item" or whatever. Fast forward a bit and he said he wanted to talk... bad sign. Anyway, it was the worst news you could get and things ended between us. That was in the fall sometime. But around Thanksgiving/Christmas, he asked if I wanted to go with that group of 11 to NYC. I knew several girls going and a couple of the guys, and I thought it sounded fun. And George and I weren't dating so I figured it'd be fine.

I don't know why I thought it'd be "fine," going with our "relationship" in that awkward situation, but that's the kind of thing you think when you're that age, I guess. (Maybe it was willful ignorance, looking back...)

Regardless, we all went.

My goal on this trip was to thoroughly enjoy the city in its winter beauty and have fun with friends. (His goals were a little different, which became apparent during the trip, but we'll get to that.)

I mostly hung out with my two friends Meredith and Erin. We shopped and ate and got coffee and saw all the touristy things -- The Statue of Liberty, the top of the Empire State Building, the tree at Rockefeller Center, Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, and we had to eat at the Seinfeld restaurant!  It was a blast.
That's me in the tan furry coat!

Meredith and I wanted to go to Tiffany, and of course, I didn't have any money for that kind of thing, but we went anyway. It's a really cool experience if you have never been! The frugal white angel on my right shoulder suggested I save the extra money I had brought for something else, but the more spontaneous sterling silver Tiffany angel convinced me that I needed this necklace charm for $100. So I got it and I love it to this day! Lurking around Tiffany was an unforgettable thing for me.

The real moment we'd all been waiting for was, of course, the ball drop in Times Square. We arrived early and were fenced into our little square (which you couldn't leave at all!). People were peeing in bottles (or just on the ground) to avoid getting out of their spot. Everyone was loud and drunk. It was bitterly cold. And the giant ball was so tiny from where we were standing. It was not quite what I'd pictured, but it was definitely memorable! And a once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure.

George had the idea that this was a good time to try to stand close to me so that when New Years hit, maybe he could get a kiss out of the deal. I became aware of the situation and sidled up to my friend Erin and pretended to be busy chatting and laughing with her so that ... well, nothing happened. Thanks, Erin! =)
I'm in the front row on the left in the white coat

Meredith knows how to shop like no one I've ever met. She can navigate a luxury boutique and back alleys of Chinatown like a pro. In this case, we were looking for some knock-off brand bags. Nothing crazy. And Meredith knew how to tell the real from the fake much better than I did. We were looking around for Louis Vuitton when a man approached us with a paper with some photos on it. It was a page full of LV purse types. We looked at each other and at him and followed him to the side of an unmarked van with tinted windows. We pointed to the one(s) we liked and he talked to another man inside the van via walkie-talkie, and that guy brought out two black bags. We opened them and peeked in, then paid the guy for the bags and left.

"Cool!" I thought. Nothing bad could have happened, right? And, as it turned out, they were the real deal. How'd they get them? No idea. I did not ask the nice man with the kidnapper van how he came to possess such nice authentic bags and what paths in life led him to sell them at such advantageous prices.

When our trip was over, we were at the airport and getting ready to go. I'd avoided any awkward conversations with George the whole time we were there. Honestly, I was naively surprised to realize he had asked me to go in hopes of rekindling something and not just as a gesture of kindness. (No comments, please)

We waited in the terminal for our United flight. (United...yeah you know where this is going already, don't you?)

So everyone in the group besides George and I had booked their tickets together. But because George had invited me, he'd coordinated our tickets on his own. Therefore, we were on a different flight home. And then, the entire United system crashed and no flights were going anywhere. So we sat... awkwardly... in the terminal. For hours. And hours. And he asked me if he had a chance at all, and I had to say no. And we finally got a flight and made it home.


And United lost my luggage. The end. Fail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloak Girl

So back in college, there was a girl who wore a forest green cape every day. I don't remember her name, though I roomed across the hall from her one year. She was obviously very into fantasy. She loved Lord of the Rings and had a whole fantasy village set up outside her room window. Most people thought she was a little weird and quite a few made fun of her. I remember just thinking she was a little different. I mean, I liked LOTR too, but I didn't wear a cape. No one else did. She was a nice girl though. I know she MUST have known she was the object of a lot of jokes. Despite what people think, you're never oblivious to that. Well, today, I made a green cloak. Now, I'm the "cape girl"! I guess some people might mock me. Honestly, I don't care. Not at this point. I've learned how to sew and can make a cloak! In fact, I did so in just a few hours today. So I'm pretty proud of myself. The character I'm cosplaying is Kvothe from The Name

Mom of the Year

Before I write this blog post, I want to say a few things. By its nature, this post is exclusive. It is about one thing and not about other things. But it is not meant to say that one thing is better than another. It's just not about all those things. All of us who are parents are doing the best we can. I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their little ones full-time. You're doing hard work, and it's a great thing.  I see a lot of posts from parents who stay home with their children talking about how they love it and it's the best thing. They can't imagine not doing that. Wonderful! I see posts that get shared that extol staying home full-time with your children. That's great, too.  But this post is specifically for the mom who works full-time outside the home. I don't see much for those of us who do that, so this is for us. I know "working mom" is a bit of a misnomer since all moms are working moms, but for clarity's s

Fibromyalgia: My Journey of Health, Perspective, and Trust

This is less a post about failing, although I certainly had those moments. It's just something I'm sharing. I hope it helps someone in some way. It started back in May of 2011. Around the time of this picture on the lake. I randomly started having trouble breathing and realized I was coughing a lot. Of course, working at WebMD, I began a long process of self-diagnosing. (Something I try to never do now.) My symptoms seemed to point to asthma, although I imagined a dozen worse scenarios. The doctor thought it could be severe allergies so he gave me some medications to try. It didn't help.  I went back and he gave me an asthma test. It did not indicate asthma but did show some improvement in breathing with a breathing treatment, so he put me on inhaled steroids and a rescue inhaler. That did seem to help a bit... but when I say a bit, I really mean that. It was minimal improvement. I spent the whole summer barely able to breathe and unable to be outside for more than