Skip to main content

Finding Strength in Being Vulnerable


The walls I built up did not come down easily. They were effective for sure, and they kept out the pain I wanted to avoid, but they were deceptive. They were quietly betraying me. The problem with a wall is that, while it keeps out bad things, it also keeps out good things.


When I told Jeremy back in 2006 that I was not interested in dating him, it was because of a wall intended to keep out heartbreak or being let down.

When I decided that I would not care at all about anyone’s approval or opinions (e.g. emotionally “shut down”), it was because of a wall intended to keep out the pain of disapproval and not being “good enough.”

When I kept friends at a distance, not letting anyone get too close, it was because of a wall intended to keep out people who might betray my trust or not come through for me.

And as with a lot of things, what starts out as a good intention or idea, when not kept in check, turns into something that controls you in the end. There’s wisdom in not over-valuing other people’s opinions, seeking their approval, bearing your innermost soul to everyone you meet, etc. But what I didn’t realize at those times was that in protecting myself this way -- in not being vulnerable at all -- I was cutting myself off from really important relationships.

Vulnerability gets a bad rap. It feels like a thing that weak people do. Like it’s a really good way to set yourself up. Maybe it seems foolish. Maybe it’s not a thing for a “strong, independent” woman to do. Those are all things I’ve thought. But I have to say, I have experienced the MOST joy when I have chosen (and it IS absolutely a choice) to be vulnerable.

It is so hard. So, so hard to tear that wall down and take a chance on people. People have let me down, yes (and I let them down, too, let’s not forget…). But how beautiful is it when you have people who value each other enough to give/take that chance, experience the pain and the joy, and push through it together? Growing together. Learning together. Forgiving and moving forward together.

To love is to be vulnerable. And I mean all types of love -- friendship, compassion, romantic -- they all, when done best, require vulnerability. The possibility of pain and hurt. But also the possibility of great joy and love. (For more about what these types of love look like, read The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis!)

Vulnerability. Taking down the wall. Letting someone in. Letting yourself OUT. Saying, “This might hurt. But I’m going to do it anyway because life is about more than sitting safely behind my wall.”

I think that, in reality, vulnerability is strong and courageous. It’s brave. You must be brave to risk potentially being hurt. You must be strong to endure pain. If you don’t bend, you will break. Vulnerability is letting yourself bend or be bent.

Brene Brown says, “Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren't always comfortable, but they're never weakness.”

So to make it personal, what has becoming a vulnerable person look like for me?

One big way I’ve seen myself changing is choosing forgiveness over bitterness. Forgiving the ones who hurt me, whether they know it or not. Whether they care or not. Also, apologizing when I am the one in need of forgiveness. My first response is usually defensiveness. Excusing myself or explaining myself instead of just saying… yeah, I shouldn’t have done that. It takes a lot of strength to forgive, but it frees you from living in the past/in a negative space.

A second thing was having kids. Becoming a parent was a huge risk! Every bit of parenting so far in my long span of four years as a mom has been opening up my heart and life to HUGE emotions and changes.

Another of the more difficult changes for me in being vulnerable is having real, deep, meaningful friendships and the conversations that go along with those. Being real, asking hard questions, and giving honest answers. Letting people get to know you, be in your space, and being in theirs. And I’m not talking about cleaning up your house and having a dinner party. And it’s not painting on a smile or distracting yourself with fun things to avoid the real issues. I mean sitting in a messy living room with a friend and crying together into your coffee.

I am a really bad verbal communicator. I can write stuff all day, but having eye-to-eye conversations, especially uncomfortable ones, is really difficult for me. I almost choke on the words as I’m trying to talk through tears of anxiety. So, in the past, I would just avoid those conversations and pretend I was fine. That might work ok with people you don’t see very often, but it doesn’t really work in marriage or in close friendships.

Well, if you don’t talk about things, they don’t go away. For me, they just built up and built up and then eventually, I couldn’t contain it all anymore. And the big, ugly mess that would spill out was … not pleasant.

I had to really work on being vulnerable in the area of having hard conversations, whether it was addressing an issue that was bothering me or admitting that I was wrong in some way. Rather than ignoring it, I would start by sitting down with Jeremy (or whoever), taking a deep breath, and usually starting out something like, “I’m probably going to cry, but I’m not mad. This is just hard for me. I need to talk to you about something that is on my heart right now. I’m not blaming you or saying it’s all your fault. I just want us to talk about it together.”

And earlier I mentioned forgiveness. This is a big one! I am nowhere near “good to go” on this. But I have torn down some ugly walls of bitterness in my life and started to be more vulnerable in mending the relationships with those people. No one is perfect. And by recognizing that and purposefully spending time with those people and seeking to have a real friendship, I have found a lot of freedom.

If this is as hard for you as it was for me, here’s a tiny bit of encouragement: it gets easier with practice! The first step is to just do it. I think of the walls as physical objects that need to be torn down. And you just have to start.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloak Girl

So back in college, there was a girl who wore a forest green cape every day. I don't remember her name, though I roomed across the hall from her one year. She was obviously very into fantasy. She loved Lord of the Rings and had a whole fantasy village set up outside her room window. Most people thought she was a little weird and quite a few made fun of her. I remember just thinking she was a little different. I mean, I liked LOTR too, but I didn't wear a cape. No one else did. She was a nice girl though. I know she MUST have known she was the object of a lot of jokes. Despite what people think, you're never oblivious to that. Well, today, I made a green cloak. Now, I'm the "cape girl"! I guess some people might mock me. Honestly, I don't care. Not at this point. I've learned how to sew and can make a cloak! In fact, I did so in just a few hours today. So I'm pretty proud of myself. The character I'm cosplaying is Kvothe from The Name

Mom of the Year

Before I write this blog post, I want to say a few things. By its nature, this post is exclusive. It is about one thing and not about other things. But it is not meant to say that one thing is better than another. It's just not about all those things. All of us who are parents are doing the best we can. I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their little ones full-time. You're doing hard work, and it's a great thing.  I see a lot of posts from parents who stay home with their children talking about how they love it and it's the best thing. They can't imagine not doing that. Wonderful! I see posts that get shared that extol staying home full-time with your children. That's great, too.  But this post is specifically for the mom who works full-time outside the home. I don't see much for those of us who do that, so this is for us. I know "working mom" is a bit of a misnomer since all moms are working moms, but for clarity's s

Fibromyalgia: My Journey of Health, Perspective, and Trust

This is less a post about failing, although I certainly had those moments. It's just something I'm sharing. I hope it helps someone in some way. It started back in May of 2011. Around the time of this picture on the lake. I randomly started having trouble breathing and realized I was coughing a lot. Of course, working at WebMD, I began a long process of self-diagnosing. (Something I try to never do now.) My symptoms seemed to point to asthma, although I imagined a dozen worse scenarios. The doctor thought it could be severe allergies so he gave me some medications to try. It didn't help.  I went back and he gave me an asthma test. It did not indicate asthma but did show some improvement in breathing with a breathing treatment, so he put me on inhaled steroids and a rescue inhaler. That did seem to help a bit... but when I say a bit, I really mean that. It was minimal improvement. I spent the whole summer barely able to breathe and unable to be outside for more than