Skip to main content

Saying “No” (or “Yes”) and Setting Limits

How many of you feel guilty when you say “no”? Or do you feel pressured to say “yes” to every offer or request? Or maybe you don’t like saying either, so you give a vague answer like “maybe” and secretly hope you can wiggle out of it later?

It’s hard to set limits, both for ourselves and as we relate to other people. For one thing, we worry about what people will think of us if we tell them we either can’t or choose not to do something. So we say “yes” out of fear/guilt. On the other hand, if you’re a “yes” type and like to volunteer for lots of things, you can feel guilty about what other things take a hit from having to shuffle priorities.

There’s a character in Bleak House named Mrs. Jellyby. While her household runs amok, she fastidiously writes letters related to setting up a mission for a tribe in Africa. Certainly a noble cause. But she ignores the needs around her and her current obligations, even as her children cry from neglect and her husband wears a hole in the wall from leaning his head against it in exasperation. Of course, Mrs. Jellyby is a caricature, but we’ve all seen this -- someone who’s so busy saying “yes” to every request that they ignore what they have already said “yes” to, overcommit, and soon, things start to fall apart. And sadly, it’s often the ones closest to these people who suffer first.

Since I’m a weirdo, I tend to lean the other way. I tend to say “no” more often than I probably should. I am overly cautious about commitments because I don’t like obligations. I also know that the one certain thing in my life is that unexpected things will happen and require my attention -- a sick kid, a broken appliance, etc -- and I won’t have as much time as I think I’ll have. That leads to falling behind on things, rushed deadlines, mistakes… Remember my post on anxiety? That fits well here! My ability to mentally invision a worst-case scenario and put myself there is really impressive.

Part of my saying “no” also has to do with guarding my health and my family. I think that’s a good thing! I know my limits physically. I can’t do everything I want to do, so I have to say no to avoid overextending myself and having pain flare-ups. And I don’t want my family to suffer because I said “yes” to too many things, so I try to always keep that in mind when committing.

But if we’re being honest, I also am selfish. I am! And a little lazy. (Ha) I’d rather stay home in my comfy clothes and drink coffee and watch Battlestar Galactica (again) than go do something I said I would do.

So Jeremy is the type who, as soon as he hears of a need, goes to help. His love language is acts of service and more than once he’s been the reason that we’ve done something to help someone else. He is so good at thinking of ways to help other people. And he’s helped me grow in this area.

More recently, we have started helping out in our church with kids’ activity time as well as agreeing to help with the 3-year-old nursery (help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi…). We don’t really like kids in a general sense, so this is a STRETCH for us both, but it’s been really good for us! So for me, this growth was great in helping me say “yes” in appropriate ways that *do stretch me but don’t overwhelm me.

There are still plenty of things I have to say no to. We both work full-time and of course have all our family commitments. We have also made our faith-related commitments (attending church, meeting regularly with our small group, and the above-mentioned volunteering) a priority. Plus there are the everyday commitments we have like cooking, grocery shopping, cleaning, house and car stuff… all the normal stuff we all do.

We also have weekly/bi-weekly DnD night with friends. We’ve taken pauses here and there over the years when kids have been born or a month is particularly crazy, but we try to keep that going! Fun is important =)

In different seasons of life, we are able to take on different things. When we had newborns, we scaled way back. As the kids have gotten older, we have slowly added different things in. Sometimes for a short time, sometimes for a longer time. And I’m still figuring this out.

This blog, for instance. I let it sit forever without a new post when Bastian was under a year old. Any small amount of energy or attention I could spare was needed elsewhere. And that’s fine! When I was able to pick it back up, it was a deliberate decision. And if I have to let it rest again, I will. I also started a “bookstagram” for recommending books I’ve read or am reading.

I have had to decline freelance work, though. I don’t have mental or physical capacity to take on more, even if it meant extra income (For shoes!! Just kidding.) I used to freelance more when I worked with WebMD, but the work combined with my emerging health situation was too much. I was forced to slow down. Everything in its season…

It’s a constant balancing and re-balancing act. What worked last year might not work this year. Actually, what worked last week might not work this week. So, we take it one day at a time and continue to learn to roll with it! And above all, we try not to compare. If I let myself compare what I do to what others do, I will definitely just be discouraged.

So I’d love to know from you -- do you tend to over- or under-commit? In what ways have you grown or changed? Leave me a comment!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloak Girl

So back in college, there was a girl who wore a forest green cape every day. I don't remember her name, though I roomed across the hall from her one year. She was obviously very into fantasy. She loved Lord of the Rings and had a whole fantasy village set up outside her room window. Most people thought she was a little weird and quite a few made fun of her. I remember just thinking she was a little different. I mean, I liked LOTR too, but I didn't wear a cape. No one else did. She was a nice girl though. I know she MUST have known she was the object of a lot of jokes. Despite what people think, you're never oblivious to that. Well, today, I made a green cloak. Now, I'm the "cape girl"! I guess some people might mock me. Honestly, I don't care. Not at this point. I've learned how to sew and can make a cloak! In fact, I did so in just a few hours today. So I'm pretty proud of myself. The character I'm cosplaying is Kvothe from The Name

Mom of the Year

Before I write this blog post, I want to say a few things. By its nature, this post is exclusive. It is about one thing and not about other things. But it is not meant to say that one thing is better than another. It's just not about all those things. All of us who are parents are doing the best we can. I respect and admire those who choose to stay home with their little ones full-time. You're doing hard work, and it's a great thing.  I see a lot of posts from parents who stay home with their children talking about how they love it and it's the best thing. They can't imagine not doing that. Wonderful! I see posts that get shared that extol staying home full-time with your children. That's great, too.  But this post is specifically for the mom who works full-time outside the home. I don't see much for those of us who do that, so this is for us. I know "working mom" is a bit of a misnomer since all moms are working moms, but for clarity's s

Fibromyalgia: My Journey of Health, Perspective, and Trust

This is less a post about failing, although I certainly had those moments. It's just something I'm sharing. I hope it helps someone in some way. It started back in May of 2011. Around the time of this picture on the lake. I randomly started having trouble breathing and realized I was coughing a lot. Of course, working at WebMD, I began a long process of self-diagnosing. (Something I try to never do now.) My symptoms seemed to point to asthma, although I imagined a dozen worse scenarios. The doctor thought it could be severe allergies so he gave me some medications to try. It didn't help.  I went back and he gave me an asthma test. It did not indicate asthma but did show some improvement in breathing with a breathing treatment, so he put me on inhaled steroids and a rescue inhaler. That did seem to help a bit... but when I say a bit, I really mean that. It was minimal improvement. I spent the whole summer barely able to breathe and unable to be outside for more than